Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Lab mix-up leads to wrongful double mastectomy

More and more, health care is becoming more a matter of "let the consumer beware" than actual medical care and concern. In this case, a lab tech reportedly "cut corners" in sampling techniques, and a 35-year-old woman underwent a double mastectomy, praying to live through a deadly cancer--that she didn't have.


When she heard the diagnosis of invasive lobular carcinoma, Darrie Eason had but one thought: Please don't let me die.


Four months and a double mastectomy later, doctors told Eason that her tissue sample had been mislabeled, and that she never had cancer.


"I didn't know what to believe," said Eason, a 35-year-old single mother from Long Beach. "They told me I had cancer and now they're telling me I didn't. I didn't know if the next day they were going to call me and say, 'Sorry, we made a mistake, you really do have cancer.'"



Tags: | | | | | | | | | |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for visiting. Now it's your turn. I'm listening to what you have to say!